Usually I think of baking as a science, but recently I was in a cooking class and the chef laid out this basic rule of baking:
- If you are adding butter, sugar and flour together, that's baking. If it holds it's shape it's a dough (like scones, bread, etc) and if it is loose, it's a batter and pour it into something ( cupcakes, a cake pan...).
This totally revolutionized my approach to baking, and so far, it's worked out pretty well.
Enter my idea for a dairy-free (due to our guests at this party) Margarita cake.
Here are my ingredients, culled from my pantry and fridge.
Ingredients for a SkinnyGirl Margarita Cake:
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup lemon curd
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- zest and juice of 1 lime (I used 2 teaspoons lime juice since I was out of limes)
- 1 teaspoon almond extract (vanilla could be substituted)
- 3 tablespoons of SkinnyGirl Margarita (white peach in my case, yum!)
The I mixed them together, poured them into a bundt pan, baked at 350 for 30 minutes, and voila, a cake was born!
For the glaze I mixed 2 tablespoons of SkinnyGirl Margarita with 1 cup of confectioner's sugar and drizzled it over the top.
Thanks for stopping by!
Please feel free to follow me with all those nifty buttons in the sidebar:)
Monday: DIY Showoff, Thrifty Decor Chick, Home Stories A to Z Tuesday: Nest for Less, My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia, Centsational Girl Wednesday: Savvy Southern Style Thursday: House of Hepworths, the 36th Avenue, Crafty, Scrappy, Happy Friday: Serenity Now, Tatertots and Jello