Plus, since I'm obviously in a rainbow birthday party theme (it will end eventually, I promise), I made some in a rainbow for you.
I followed intstructions from instructables, apparently 6-sided snowflakes are totally the thing, and 4 and 8 pointes snowflakes are out!
Here is my picture tutorial for a 6-sided snowflake.
1. Take a piece of construction paper and scissors to start. Easy so far, right?
2. Then fold in one corner to create a triangle. If you unfolded it, the paper would be a square. Skip ahead if you started with square paper:)
3. Cut off the excess. (I used these for the paper chains you see on the mantel above).
4. Fold corner to corner to make a smaller triangle.
5. Now for the tricky part, fold this triangle in thirds. One side in (about a 60 degree angle)
6. Now the other side.
7. Next, cut off the tips, this will create your points, so experiment with what you like, sharp and pointy, or rounded.
8. Now you can just cut in on the sides in whatever pattern you like, I just go freeform with lots of triangles. Snipping off the bottom will create the shape in the middle of your snowflake.
9. Unfold (perfect job for a sick 3 year old) and you are all done!
Hmm, maybe I shouldn't have numbered this. 9 steps seems like a lot, but I promise, once you do it once (or twice) you'll be able to whip these babies out in no time.
*caveat* if you are spatially challenged, you know who you are, then don't try this with a certain granddaughter, you'll just be frustrated. Just saying:)
Monday: DIY Showoff, Thrifty Decor Chick, Home Stories A to Z Tuesday: Nest for Less, My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia, Centsational Girl Wednesday: Savvy Southern Style Thursday: House of Hepworths, the 36th Avenue, Crafty, Scrappy, Happy Friday: Serenity Now, Tatertots and Jello