I'm a huge fan of books as favors. (See the Amelia Bedelia Under Construction Books from the Construction Truck birthday party) Or something useful, not schlock. I can't stand going to a party just to get a gift bag full of cheap plastic toys that my kids won't use. Or even worse, they won't use them but will become inordinately attached to the plastic blue whale, then it gets lost and they are despondent. Totally unacceptable.
We went with a combination art project/favor. I saw Kiwi Crate on another blog (can't remember which one), went to their site, and discovered that not only do they have monthly activity crates, but they also have small projects that are perfect for favors. We, obviously, chose the butterfly wings:)
Or ladybug wings for boys, since they are red and orange.
I set up the boxes on the dining room table, and as the children came in they started making their wings. I loved this project, no scissors, no glue, everything you need is the box already.
By the way, I haven't been paid or compensated by Kiwi Crate, I just love these:)
Here are a few more favorites:
- Curious George 1st Birthday Party- monkey theme: A selection of Curious George books.
- Baggie or pail full of pinata candy
- Small art project, like a Melissa and Doug frame decorating kit that we gave out for my daughter's 4th birthday
- Water squirt guns. these were given at the beginning of the party, then the kids used them to squirt each other while running in the sprinkler, awesome. Side note, this was an alien party, with donuts on toothpicks with sparkly domes on them making them look like space ships. I should have taken pictures, this was brilliant!
- Inflatable play balls. We received these safari animal balls 4 years ago after an animal themed first birthday and the kids still play with it.
- Mickey Mouse Clubhouse birthday- mouse-shaped cookies on a stick. What can I say? I'm a fan of baked goods:)
What do you give away as favors? Our baby turns 1 in November and I'm always looking for more ideas.
Thanks for stopping by!
Please feel free to follow me with all those nifty buttons in the sidebar:)
I link to these awesome parties:
Sunday: I Heart Naptime, Nifty Thrifty Things, It's Overflowing Monday: Delectable Home, C.R.A.F.T. DIY Showoff, Between Naps on the Porch, Thrifty Decor Chick, Debbie Doo's, Home Stories A to Z, Evolution of Style Tuesday: Coastal Charm, Nest for Less, Tip Junkie, My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia, A Bowl Full of Lemons, Get Your Craft On, Kurtz Corner, Centsational Girl , Primitive and Proper Wednesday: Savvy Southern Style, Organize and Decorate, Mommy Solutions, Power of Paint, Newlyweds Recipe Linky, Southern Lovely , Home Happy Home, Crafty Sasse Wednesday, Gingersnap Crafts, A Crafty Soiree Thursday: The Shabby Creek Cottage, Made in a Day, House of Hepworths, the 36th Avenue, Crafty, Scrappy, Happy, 52 Mantels Friday: Making Lemonade, Blissful and Domestic, One Artsy Mama, Serenity Now, Tatertots and Jello, The Shabby Nest, Thirty Handmade Days, Addicted 2 Decorating, Funky Junk Interiors, Financial Friday, Furniture Friday, At the Picket Fence, The Rooster and the Hen, Classy ClutterPin It